If you keep up with the latest wellness news in any way then there's no doubt that you’ve heard of some of the potential benefits of CBD. With more studies being concluded as time goes on, we’ve found many ways CBD can been used, from muscle pain to achieving more, quality shut-eye. However, what you may not know is that CBD’s possible benefits don’t stop at just ourselves: they may also extend to the lives of our furry friends. While CBD may help both humans and animals, animals have been known to absorb CBD slightly differently. Animals and CBD use is growing more and more popular, so the next time you find yourself pondering the CBD-infused dog treats, consider how they absorb CBD compared to us.
The CBD Basics
CBD is a chemical compound found in hemp and cannabis plants. You’ve likely heard of THC, CBD’s psychoactive cousin from the same plant. There are many differences between CBD and THC which has led to CBD’s use in many medical conversations, partially due to it’s non-addictive and non-intoxicating effects. Studies have shown that some of the known conditions that CBD can possibly aid in the treatment of include:
- Chronic Pain
This is due to the effect CBD has on our endocannabinoid system. Animals and CBD have a similar relationship, as they have the same system in their bodies, so the way CBD interacts with an animal is actually pretty similar to the way we respond to CBD. All living things have cannabinoid receptors throughout the body, which is claimed to help maintain homeostasis. The endocannabinoid system may affect our memory, mood, pain levels, digestion, metabolism, and more. Due to CBD’s effect on this system and lack of influence on cognitive functioning, pets and CBD use has been shown to be likely as safe as CBD use within humans.
Similarities Between CBD in Humans and Animals:
- Anti-Inflammatory Capabilities: Studies have found CBD is effective in treating arthritis symptoms and seizures for some animals. If your pet is very active but has begun to show symptoms of joint pain or epilepsy, CBD has been used to relieve muscle tension and seizures among animals just like humans.
- Soothing Effects: Anxious pets and CBD often go hand in hand. It’s possible that CBD treats can be used to help out with road-trip jitters or separation anxiety in pets. Studies show that CBD may alleviate many of the symptoms of anxiety and depression and is often used for excessive barking and mood disorders to help animals relax.
How Do Animals Take CBD?
Like humans, there are numerous options to give CBD to animals. However, the main difference between the way animals and humans absorb CBD lies within the way the product is manufactured and sold. CBD products designed for pets are distributed differently, with specific pet-packaging that typically allows the animal to take it more simply. This packaging also assures that the dosage is appropriate for an animal of their size.
Some of the most common forms include:
- Topicals: Typically brushed into the fur or rubbed on bare skin, this allows the animal to absorb CBD through their skin, potentially helping with joint pain.
- Edibles: Certainly the tastiest option for our furry companions, pets love a tasty CBD treat to chew on for quick distribution.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are perfect for pets that need CBD oil added to their regular diet. Some oils even come in special flavors so the animal can get an extra surprise in their meal.
Tips for Your Pet’s First Time:
Just as we’d recommend for any major change in your animal’s diet, it's important to be mindful of giving an animal CBD to determine if it’s the best avenue to go down for their overall wellness. Some important tips to consider when thinking of your pets and CBD include:
- Speak with the vet first: This will allow you to get an outside opinion of whether the issues you’d like to address are more serious and require medical attention rather than a CBD supplement.
- Monitor their behavior: In the same way as humans, figuring out your animal’s correct dosage can be a little tricky in the beginning. So take note of any distressing or abnormal behavior and minimize or discontinue use if there are issues.
When we love our animals we tend to share our whole lives with them. It makes sense that when experiencing some of the known benefits of CBD that you’d want to share that with your pet, too. It’s a known fact that CBD is absorbed by everyone differently and the same can be said for animals and CBD. However, with enough research into your pet’s specific needs, the benefits of CBD can be transformative for animals struggling with epilepsy, insomnia, or arthritis. CBD may just be the way to find some peace of mind for both of you.
For more information on how Kanavia Organics may help you and your pets, have a look at our CBD for Pets range!