In the United States, people in their senior years make up the largest group of those who suffer from pain-related conditions. These same people are often affected by suboptimal sleep, anxiety, and neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s. While there is not enough research available for doctors to prescribe CBD for seniors, research and anecdotal testimonies indicate that cannabidiol (CBD) may offer several benefits for people in their golden years.
Americans aged 65 years and older make up over half (61.2%) of the 50 million American adults who suffer from ongoing pain. In many cases, this pain is related to arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and degenerative joint disease However, it can also stem from other causes, including neuropathic conditions, diabetes, cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, fibromyalgia, and HIV.
According to the available research, CBD for seniors may help with many of these painful conditions, either alone or in combination with THC. Here is a brief overview of studies that support a link between CBD and the elderly for pain relief:
- A 2005 preliminary assessment of 58 rheumatoid arthritis patients showed that a daily dose of Sativex for five weeks “produced statistically significant improvements in pain” compared to placebo.
- A 2020 randomized placebo-controlled trial of 29 patients with symptomatic peripheral neuropathy showed that topical cannabidiol reduced “intense pain, sharp pain, cold and itchy sensations” compared to placebo.
- A 2007 paper indicates that CBD reduced the incidence of diabetes in nonobese mice and may also help with diabetes-related pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Older adults often struggle with sleep disorders, leading to depression and a significantly reduced quality of life. Around 20% of elderly Americans meet the criteria for sleep apnea syndromes, which also reduce the quality of sleep. Current treatments for insomnia in seniors include cognitive-behavioral therapy and medications.
According to research, CBD for seniors may help to improve sleep quality without causing feelings of drowsiness during the day. One study suggested that 160 mg of CBD daily may improve sleep duration better than placebo. A 2017 literature review also supports the idea that cannabis might help with sleep.
Neurodegenerative diseases primarily affect older adults and their prevalence is expected to rise as the American population ages. Around 5 million Americans currently suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, 1 million have been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease, and 400,000 have multiple sclerosis (MS). Smaller numbers of Americans suffer from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and Huntington’s disease.
So far, research on CBD and the elderly looks promising in terms of supporting a healthier brain function:
- A 2010 data review noted that in vitro studies with CBD were promising for Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and vascular dementia.
- A 2019 literature review indicated that cannabidiol may help to suppress the causal factors of Alzheimer’s disease, helping to prevent and improve symptoms of AD.
- An in vitro study published in 2021 showed that CBD may have neuroprotective effects by protecting hippocampal neurons from oxidative stress.
Find CBD for Seniors You Can Trust at Kanavia Organics
At Kanavia Organics, we understand how important it is to lead a full and happy life well into your senior years. Inspired by over 25 years of clinical experience, we have worked hard to develop a range of gentle CBD tinctures, edibles, and topicals that are extracted from medicinal American hemp and are certified to contain 0.0% THC.
If you or someone you love are suffering from age-related ailments, contact a Kanavia medical professional to find out which of our CBD products for seniors could be right for you.